Each Friday I will give you a rundown of all the games I played over the last week and the games I plan to play over the next week. I will provide a quick commentary on what I think about each game, hoping this will help you find something to play and keep you connected. I missed last week so let’s get you caught up on what I have been playing.
Ratchet & Clank Collection (Played as long as I could)
The Ratchet & Clank Collection puts the first three games of the Ratchet & Clank series on one disc. I was hoping to jump in play through the three games and fall in love with the franchise. I started playing and quickly liked what it brought, I thought both Ratchet and Clank were interesting characters and the universe was fun and a place I wanted to explore more. Then I died. The first time I died I was sent all the way back to the beginning of the level, and then I died again and again I was sent all the way back to the beginning. The failure of checkpoints finally did these games in for me, I couldn’t take spending 15 min trying to work through an area collecting all the bolts and being careful then dying and having to go through the whole thing again. As I wrote in my “Five Things Video Games Need to Improve” post auto saves are one of them, and this broke them game for me. I still plan to try the most recent games on the PS3 hoping the checkpoint system was fixed, but the first three Ratchet & Clanks are off my list.
Metal Gear Solid 4 (Playing)
I picked up MGS4 and started to play this last weekend when I had nothing else that was grabbing my attention. I enjoy the Metal Gear Solid series and I plan to continue playing this game, but right now it hasn’t grabbed my attention and I am not currently in the mood for a stealth game, but cinematic games are always one of my favorites and whether you love it or hate it Metal Gear Solid is one of the best cinematic game series.
Prison Architect (Played)
I picked up Prison Architect during the Steam Summer Sale this year, in fact it was the one game I was waiting to go on sale. I had watched some videos, read about it and it seemed like a game that I would thoroughly enjoy. Last Saturday I finally sat down and played the game, it took some time to get the grasp of it and a lot of prisoner escapes and failed prisons to finally understand what I was supposed to do. The game is currently in the alpha stage so there are some bugs and I got rather bored once I made a successful prison and wasn’t able to make any money, but I had a blast playing for close to four hours.
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Going to play)
The itch to play an RPG has been strong lately so I am glad to see that Gamefly shipped Ni No Kuni yesterday. I have heard nothing but good things about this game, and I am hoping it will scratch the itch to play an RPG. This is also the next game I plan to review. Wish me luck!
Possible games I will play this week:
- Origin Humble Bundle: Humblebundle.com is having a great choose your own price “Origin” sale until August 28th. If you pay at least $1.00 you can get six games for the PC and currently if you pay over $4.80 you can get an extra two games. I purchased the eight games by paying $4.70 and I may decide to play some of them this week. Here is the list of games you can get:
- Dead Space
- Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
- Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
- Mirror’s Edge
- Dead Space 3
- Medal of Honor
- And if you pay over $4.80 you get Battlefield 3 and The Sims 3 + Starter Pack
- Torchlight II: Currently this is my go to game when I am bored, at times it out Diablos Diablo. I love leveling up and getting gear and increasing my stats. If you are deciding on whether to buy this game I would highly recommend it.
- Warframe: For some reason I couldn’t decide on a game to play last Sunday so I picked up the free to play co-op third person shooter. I love the concept of leveling up and increasing my stats and gear while completing missions with others. I have played it a few more times since Sunday, but I am not sure if I will sink the amount of time into the game that seems needed in order to get the full experience.
I hope you all have a great weekend of gaming! I am looking forward to starting my journey in Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, and I will be back next week with another “What I am Playing” update.
Have you played any of these games? Are there any games I should look into? Let me know in the comments below.